The Netgear CAX80 is a device that combines a cable modem and a router into one unit. The modem part of the device connects to your coax outlet and converts the signals from your cable internet provider into digital signals that the router can use. The router then creates a home network and provides WiFi coverage throughout your home. While modem/router combos can be convenient, using a separate modem and router is generally recommended for the best performance. To know the reason check out Why choose Separate Modem vs Router?
Table of Contents
Is The CAX80 Worth Getting?
It is up to the individual to determine if the Netgear CAX80 is worth getting. Some may find the convenience of having a modem and a router in one device worth the cost. In contrast, others may prefer improved performance from using separate modem and router devices.
The suitability of the Netgear Nighthawk CAX80 for a particular internet plan depends on the speed of the plan. If you have a Gigabit internet plan with a speed of 1000 Mbps or more, the CAX80 may be a good choice because it can provide a WiFi signal of more than 1000 Mbps. However, suppose you only have a 100 Mbps internet plan. In that case, the CAX80 may be more expensive than necessary, and cheaper options may be available to provide similar performance. Consider alternative modem and router options if you have a lower-speed internet plan.
Netgear CAX80 Modem Router: Model Specifications
The Netgear CAX80 modem router is a high-performance WiFi router designed to support the latest WiFi 6 standard. Some key features and specifications of the CAX80 model include the following:
- Dimensions: 10.1 x 8.1 x 2.5 inches (25.7 x 20.6 x 6.4 cm)
- Weight: 1.94 lbs (0.88 kg)
- WiFi bands: 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz
- WiFi speeds: Up to 6 Gbps
- WiFi technology: WiFi 6 (802.11ax)
- Number of antennas: 4 External
- Processor: 1.5 GHz quad-core
- Memory: 512 MB RAM and 4 GB flash
- Connectivity: 1 Gigabit WAN port, 4 Gigabit LAN ports, 2 USB 3.0 ports
- Security: WPA3, built-in firewall
- Compatibility: DOCSIS 3.1 cable internet, IPv6
- Other features: OFDMA, MU-MIMO, beamforming, Quality of Service (QoS)
The CAX80 is designed for use with a cable internet connection and is compatible with DOCSIS 3.1. It is also compatible with IPv6, which is the latest version of the Internet Protocol (IP) used to connect devices to the internet. The router also has several advanced features to improve performance and connectivity, including OFDMA, MU-MIMO, and beamforming. It also has a built-in firewall and support for WPA3 security to help protect your network and devices. Visit for more information on Steps to Ensure the Security of Business and Home Networks.
Features of the Netgear Nighthawk CAX80 Modem/Router
The Netgear CAX80 modem router has many features that contribute to its wireless connectivity and performance. These include:
- Dual-band WiFi: The CAX80 operates on both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz frequency bands, allowing it to provide fast WiFi speeds and a stable connection.
- 4×4 WiFi 6: The router comes with 4×4 WiFi 6 technology, which provides improved performance and coverage compared to previous WiFi generations.
- OFDMA: The CAX80 uses Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiple Access (OFDMA) to increase the number of devices that can be connected to the router simultaneously without sacrificing performance. Check out how to see what devices are connected to my WiFi router network.
- MU-MIMO: The router supports Multiple-User Multiple-Input Multiple-Output (MU-MIMO) technology, which allows it to transmit data to multiple devices simultaneously, improving overall network efficiency.
- Beamforming: The CAX80 uses advanced beamforming technology to focus the wireless signal in the direction of connected devices, improving the connection strength and range.
- Advanced security: The router is equipped with advanced security features, including WPA3 and a built-in firewall, to help protect your network and devices from cyber threats.
Requirements for Netgear Modem/Router CAX80
To use the Netgear CAX80 modem router, you will need the following:
- A cable internet connection: The CAX80 is designed for use with a cable internet connection, so you will need to have an active cable internet service.
- A coaxial cable: You will need a coaxial cable to connect the router to your cable internet connection.
- An Ethernet cable: You will need an Ethernet cable to connect the router to your computer or other devices.
- Power source: The router requires a power source to function, so you must plug it into a wall outlet or power strip.
- A web browser: You will need a web browser (such as Chrome, Firefox, or Safari) to access the router’s web-based interface and configure its settings.
We recommend installing the latest version of the router’s firmware, which you can download from the Netgear official website. This will ensure that you have access to the latest features and security updates.
Supported ISPs for Netgear CAX80
The Netgear CAX80 modem router is designed to support a variety of internet service providers (ISPs). Some of the ISPs that are known to work with the CAX80 include:
- Comcast Xfinity
- Cox Communications
- Optimum (depends on where you live)
- Time Warner Cable (Spectrum)
Note: It is always a good idea to check with your ISP to ensure that the CAX80 is compatible with your specific internet service. Some ISPs may have specific requirements or configurations that need to be followed to use the router.
Pros and Cons of Netgear CAX80 Modem/Router
Here are some pros and cons of the Netgear CAX80 modem router:
- High-performance: The CAX80 is designed to support the latest WiFi 6 standard, which provides fast and stable connectivity for various devices.
- Advanced features: The router has several advanced features, such as OFDMA, MU-MIMO, and beamforming, to improve performance and connectivity.
- Wide compatibility: The CAX80 is compatible with DOCSIS 3.1 cable internet and IPv6, making it suitable for use with various internet connections.
- Security: The router has advanced security features, including WPA3 and a built-in firewall, to help protect your network and devices from cyber threats.
- Easy setup: The router has a user-friendly web interface that makes it easy to set up and configure the router.
- Expensive: The CAX80 is a high-performance router, which means it may be more expensive than other router models.
- Limited range: Some users have reported that the router has limited range and may not provide strong coverage throughout their entire home.
- Requires coaxial cable: The router requires a coaxial cable to connect to a cable internet source, which may not be convenient for some users.
- A limited number of Ethernet ports: The CAX80 has only four Gigabit LAN ports, which may not be sufficient for users with many wired devices.
How to Setup Netgear CAX80 Modem/Router Using the Web Interface?
To set up your Netgear CAX80 modem router using the web interface, follow these steps:
Connect the router to your internet source (such as a cable modem) using a coaxial cable and to your computer or device using an Ethernet cable.
Plug the router into a power outlet and turn it on.
Open a web browser on your computer or device and enter “www.routerlogin.net” into the address bar.
Enter the default login and password for the router (login: admin, password: password).
Click on the “Basic” tab on the router’s main page.
Click on the “Internet” tab.
Select “Dynamic IP” as the Internet connection type unless your internet service provider has provided you with specific settings.
Click the “Apply” button to save the changes.
Test your internet connection by visiting a website or pinging a server. If the connection is not working, you may need to contact your internet service provider for further assistance.
Once your internet connection is working, you can configure additional settings for the router, such as setting up a wireless network or enabling security features.
Note: It is highly recommended to change the default login and password for security purposes. You can do this by accessing the router’s settings and navigating to the “Administration” or “Security” section.
Troubleshooting Options in Netgear Nighthawk CAX80 Modem/Router
If you are experiencing issues with your Netgear CAX80 modem router, there are a few troubleshooting options you can try:
- Restart the router: Sometimes, simply restarting the router can resolve issues with connectivity or performance. To do this, unplug the router from the power outlet, wait a few seconds, and then plug it back in.
- Check the cables and connections: Make sure that all cables are securely connected and that there are no loose or damaged cables. Also, check to ensure the router is correctly connected to your internet source (such as a cable modem).
- Update the router’s firmware: If you are using an older version of the router’s firmware, it may be causing issues. Check the Netgear website for the latest firmware version and update the router if necessary.
- Check the router’s settings: If you have recently made changes to the router’s settings, it is possible that these changes are causing issues. You can restore the router to its default settings and reconfigure it to see if it resolves the problem.
- Contact Netgear support: If you cannot resolve the issue on your own, you can contact Netgear support for further assistance. Be sure to have your router’s model number and any error messages or codes available when you contact them.
How to Update Netgear CAX80 WiFi Modem/Router Firmware
To update the firmware on your Netgear CAX80 modem router, follow these steps:
- Connect the router to your computer or device using an Ethernet cable.
- Open a web browser and enter “routerlogin.net” into the address bar.
- Enter the default login and password for the router (login: admin, password: password).
- Click on the “Advanced” tab and then “Administration“.
- Click on the “Firmware Update” tab.
- Click on the “Check” button to check for available updates.
- If an update is available, click the “Download” button to download the update to your computer.
- Once the update has been downloaded, click the “Browse” button and select the update file from your computer.
- Click on the “Upload” button to upload the update to the router.
- The router will restart automatically to apply the update.
Note: It is recommended to check for updates periodically to ensure your router has the latest features and security updates. You can also check the Netgear website for information on new firmware releases.
Some Alternatives to the Netgear CAX80
If you are looking for alternatives to the Netgear CAX80 modem router, here are a few options to consider:
- TP-Link Archer AX6000: This router supports WiFi 6 and has many advanced features, including OFDMA, MU-MIMO, and beamforming, to improve performance and connectivity. It also has a built-in security firewall and support for WPA3 security.
- Asus ROG Rapture GT-AX11000: This router is designed for gaming and has a high-performance WiFi 6 processor and advanced gaming features, such as Quality of Service (QoS) and WTFast gaming accelerator. It also has a built-in security firewall and support for WPA3 security.
- Linksys Velop WiFi 6: This router has a sleek, modern design and supports WiFi 6, making it suitable for high-bandwidth tasks such as gaming and streaming. It also has advanced security features, including a built-in firewall and support for WPA3 security.
- Google Nest WiFi Router: This router supports WiFi 6 and has a sleek, modern design. It is easy to set up and has advanced security features, including a built-in firewall and support for WPA3 security.
Note: These are just a few examples of alternative modem-router combos that are available. There are many other options on the market, so be sure to research and choose the one that best meets your needs and budget.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) about Netgear CAX80
What are the Netgear Nighthawk CAX80 modem router’s default login and password?
The default login and password for the Netgear CAX80 modem router is:
Login: admin, password: password.
Note: It is highly recommended to change the default login and password for security purposes. You can do this by accessing the router’s settings and navigating to the “Administration” or “Security” section. Visit for more information on How to Change NETGEAR Router Password & on Wi-Fi Extender?
Netgear Nighthawk CAX80, also referred to as what?
The name of the Netgear Nighthawk CAX80 modem router is the “NETGEAR Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi 6 Cable Modem Router.” It is also called the “NETGEAR CAX80” or simply the “NETGEAR Nighthawk AX8.”
Is Netgear CAX80 compatible with Xfinity?
Yes, the Netgear CAX80 modem router is compatible with Xfinity, which is a major cable internet provider in the United States. The CAX80 is designed to support the latest WiFi 6 standard. It is compatible with DOCSIS 3.1 cable internet, making it suitable for Xfinity’s internet services.
What is the range that the Netgear CAX80 modem-router combo can cover?
The range that the Netgear CAX80 modem router can cover will depend on various factors, such as the environment, the number of devices connected to the network, and the distance from the router. The CAX80 is designed to provide strong WiFi coverage for homes with up to 2,500 square feet. However, some users have reported that the router may not provide strong coverage throughout their home, particularly if there are walls or other obstacles that can interfere with the WiFi signal.
Is the Netgear CAX80 suitable for gaming and streaming?
Yes, the Netgear CAX80 modem router is suitable for gaming and streaming. It is designed to support the latest WiFi 6 standard. It has advanced features, such as OFDMA and MU-MIMO, that can improve performance and connectivity. The router also has a 1.5 GHz quad-core processor and 512 MB RAM, which can reduce latency and improve overall performance. Additionally, the CAX80 is equipped with Quality of Service (QoS) technology that allows you to prioritize certain types of traffic, such as gaming or streaming, to ensure a smooth and stable connection. Overall, the CAX80 is a high-performance router that is well-suited for gaming and streaming.
Is investing in the Netgear Nighthawk CAX80 modem router a good idea?
The Netgear CAX80 is an excellent investment for a powerful and reliable modem-router combo. Its high-performance WiFi 6 technology and advanced features make it ideal for bandwidth-intensive tasks like gaming and streaming. Whether you are an avid gamer or a frequent twitch streamer, the CAX80 has the power and capabilities to handle your needs and ensure a stable connection.