Last Updated on January 25, 2023
Have you ever wanted to learn more about IP addresses? In this article, we’ll discuss what an IP address is, and how to find the IP address of a device connected to your Netgear router.
Table of Contents
What Is An IP Address?
An IP address is a unique numerical identifier assigned to each device connected to the internet protocol for communication. It allows devices to communicate with each other and find each other on the network. Every device has a different IP address, and they are usually assigned by your ISP (internet service provider). You can think of an IP address like a phone number for your computer – it’s how other devices on the internet know how to find and connect to it.
You can find the IP address of any device connected to your router by logging into your router’s web interface and looking at the list of connected devices. The IP address will be listed next to each device.
How to Find the IP Address Of A Device Connected To Your Router?
When it comes to finding the IP address of a device connected to your router, there are several methods you can use. Here is a list of them:
Through the Router’s Web Interface
The easiest way to find the IP address of a device connected to your router is through the router’s web interface.
To identify the IP address of a device connected to your router:
- Access the login page for your router. For NETGEAR routers, refer to the instructions on “How do I log in to my NETGEAR home router?” Note: If you do not have a NETGEAR router, consult your specific model’s user manual or support page.
- Locate the section of the router’s web interface that displays connected devices.
- On NETGEAR routers, navigate to the “Attached Devices” page under the “BASIC” tab. Note: The menu label may vary on other models and be called “Device Manager” or similar.
- Each connected device will display information such as the device name and IP address. For further assistance, refer to your router’s support page or contact NETGEAR Support.
Using a Command Prompt (Windows)
If you’re using Windows, you can find your IP address by opening a command prompt and typing “ipconfig“. Your IP address will be displayed next to the “IPv4 Address” field.
Using Network Settings (MacOS/iOS)
If you want to find the IP address of a device connected to your router, you can do so using the network settings on your Mac or iOS device.
To find the IP address of a device on your Mac:
- Access System Preferences and select the Network option.
- Select the location that corresponds to your current network setup (if you need help determining which one it is, look at the network icon in the menu bar).
- Click on Advanced and then select the TCP/IP tab.
- The IP address will be listed next to “Router“.
To find the IP address of a device on your iOS device:
- Go to the Settings section and tap on the Wi-Fi option.
- Make sure that Wi-Fi is turned on and you’re connected to the correct network.
- Tap on the arrow next to the name of the network that you’re connected to.
- You can find the IP address next to the “IP Address” label.
Using a Network Scanner
A third way to find the IP address of a device connected to your router is by using a network scanner. Network scanners are software tools that scan your network and provide information about connected devices, including IP addresses. There are many different network scanners available, both paid and free. Some popular options include Fing and Advanced IP Scanner.
Note: It’s worth noting that some devices may have a dynamic IP address which can change over time.
In conclusion, finding the IP address of a device connected to your router is a straightforward process that can be accomplished using various methods. Whether you choose to use the router’s web interface, command prompt or terminal, or a network scanner, you should be able to quickly identify the IP address of the device you are trying to locate. Knowing the IP address of a device connected to your router can be helpful in a variety of situations, such as troubleshooting network issues or configuring security settings. With this knowledge, you can easily manage and maintain your home network.
- How to find your IP address without using the command prompt?
- How to Change NETGEAR Router Password & on Wi-Fi Extender?
- Modem-Router Combo vs Separate: Which is Better Choice in 2023?
- What is a DDoS attack?
- Netgear router login | routerlogin.net