This guide applies to the following router models:
RBK50, RBK50V2, RBR50, RBR50V2, RBK52W, RBK53, RBK53S, RBK53V, RBK53v2 and RBK50V.
Table of Contents
What is NETGEAR Smart Parental Controls on my RBK50?
NETGEAR Smart Parental Controls is a feature on the RBK50 router that allows you to manage and monitor the internet usage of your family members. With this feature, you can set up restrictions and filters to block certain types of content, such as adult websites or specific apps, and also set time limits for internet usage. NETGEAR Smart Parental Controls help you ensure that your family members are safe online and not spending too much time on the internet.
With NETGEAR Smart Parental Controls, you can also view activity reports and get notifications when certain events occur, such as when a child tries to access a blocked website. NETGEAR Smart Parental Controls allows you to closely monitor your family’s internet usage and take action if necessary.
We can also use this feature to set up a “bedtime” period when the internet will be off, which helps ensure that your family members are getting enough rest. Additionally, we can also set up specific profiles for each family member, which allows you to tailor the restrictions and filters to each individual’s needs. The feature can be accessed and managed via the router’s web interface or through the Nighthawk App.
Some of the critical features of NETGEAR Smart Parental Controls include:
- Internet access scheduling: You can set specific times when internet access is allowed or blocked for each device on your network.
- Website blocking: You can block specific websites or categories of websites, such as adult content or social media sites.
- Age-appropriate content filtering: You can set up content filters based on age ranges, such as “Teen” or “Child,” to block inappropriate content.
- Pause internet: You can pause internet access for all devices on your network with the touch of a button.
- Activity reports: You can view activity reports for each device on your network, including which websites and apps were accessed and for how long.
Overall, NETGEAR Smart Parental Controls can help you to monitor and control the online activity of your children and other users on your home network, providing added protection and peace of mind.
To upgrade from Circle to NETGEAR Smart Parental Controls on your RBK50, take these key steps:
- Terminate your existing Circle subscription.
- Download and manually install the latest NETGEAR Smart Parental Controls firmware on your router.
- Access the router’s web interface and activate NETGEAR Smart Parental Controls.
- Acquire a NETGEAR Smart Parental Controls subscription.
Please note: This upgrade process is only available for routers marketed in North America.
Terminate your existing Circle subscription
Refer to the following article for guidance on cancelling your Circle subscription: How-Do-I-Manage-the-Circle-Premium-Subscription
Download and manually install the firmware
- Connect your mobile device to the WiFi network of your Orbi router.
- Open the Orbi or Nighthawk app on your mobile device.
- Enter the admin password for your router and tap SIGN IN.
- The dashboard will appear on your screen.
- Tap the Menu icon located in the top-left corner of the dashboard.
- Navigate to Settings > Router Settings.
- Scroll down and tap Check for Updates.
- If you see Update Firmware instead, this means new firmware is available for your router.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to install firmware version 22.214.171.124 or later.
- Your router will reboot, and the new firmware will be installed.
Using router’s web interface
To access the parental controls on your Orbi router, follow these steps:
Total Time: 15 minutes
Open a web browser
Open a web browser on a computer that is connected to your Orbi router’s WiFi network.
Go to Netgear Router Login site
Go to the website www.routerlogin.net.
Enter login details
Enter the default username (admin) and password (password) to log in.
Will be directed to the BASIC page
Once logged in, you will be directed to the BASIC page.
Go to Parental Controls
Navigate to ADVANCED > Security > Parental Controls.
Click on UPGRADE
At the bottom of the page, click on UPGRADE TO NETGEAR SMART PARENTAL CONTROLS.
A confirmation message will appear; select OK.
Wait for router reboot
Your router will reboot to complete the upgrade.
Note: Please be aware that once you activate NETGEAR Smart Parental Controls, the Parental Controls section will no longer be visible on your router’s web interface. To manage your parental control settings and access NETGEAR Smart Parental Controls, please use the Orbi or Nighthawk app.
Purchase a new subscription
To activate NETGEAR Smart Parental Controls on your router, follow these steps:
- Open the Orbi or Nighthawk app.
- Tap the home icon located on the top left corner of your screen.
- Select ADD-ONS.
- Tap on Parental Controls.
- Select Buy Now, and then choose See Pricing.
- Pick a subscription plan, and tap Get Started.
- Input the necessary payment information.
- Confirm your purchase by tapping the confirmation button at the bottom of the screen.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Question)
Do I need to have Circle installed on my RBK50 router to upgrade to NETGEAR Smart Parental Controls?
Yes, you will need to have Circle installed on your RBK50 router to upgrade to NETGEAR Smart Parental Controls.
Will upgrading to NETGEAR Smart Parental Controls erase any existing settings or configurations I have set up in Circle?
No, upgrading to NETGEAR Smart Parental Controls should not erase any existing settings or configurations you have set up in Circle. However, it is always a good idea to back up your settings before proceeding with any major changes to your router.
How long does it take to upgrade from Circle to NETGEAR Smart Parental Controls on my RBK50?
The time it takes to upgrade from Circle to NETGEAR Smart Parental Controls on your RBK50 will depend on your internet connection’s speed and the firmware update size. On average, it should take around 15-20 minutes to complete the upgrade process.
Will my internet connection be lost during the upgrade process?
Yes, your internet connection will be lost during the upgrade process. All connected devices will lose internet connectivity while the router is being upgraded.
Can I revert to Circle after upgrading to NETGEAR Smart Parental Controls?
It is not recommended to revert to Circle after upgrading to NETGEAR Smart Parental Controls, as it may cause issues with the router’s functionality. If you have any issues with NETGEAR Smart Parental Controls, it is best to contact NETGEAR technical support for assistance.