Last Updated on January 23, 2023
In today’s world, securing your home network is more critical than ever. One of the essential steps you can take to secure your home network is to change the default password on your router and Wi-Fi extender. This guide will show you how to change NETGEAR router password and Wi-Fi extender password, step by step. Following this guide, you can keep your home network secure and protect yourself from potential cyber threats (e.g., DDoS attacks on Netgear router). So, whether you’re new to networking or a seasoned pro, this guide will help you easily change your NETGEAR router and Wi-Fi extender password.
Table of Contents
How to Change NETGEAR Router Password?
Changing the password on your NETGEAR router is an essential step in securing your home network. During the setup process of newer NETGEAR routers, you will be prompted to change the default password for improved security. However, if you have an older NETGEAR router or wish to change the admin password to something different after setup, it can be done through the router’s web interface. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to change NETGEAR router password:
Total Time: 10 minutes
Open 192.168.1.1, 192.168.0.1 or www.routerlogin.net in your browser.
Open your web browser and type your router’s IP address in the address bar. The IP address is usually printed on the bottom of the router or in the user manual. The default IP address for NETGEAR routers is typically “192.168.1.1” or “192.168.0.1“or you can visit this page by visiting www.routerlogin.net in your browser.
Enter default username and password.
Once you’ve entered the IP address, you will be prompted to enter a username and password. The default username for NETGEAR routers is “admin” and the default password is “password“.
The BASIC Home page or Dashboard displays after successful user and password.
Select “Security” or “Wireless” tab depending on your router model.
After logging in, look for the “Security” or “Wireless” tab. Depending on your router model and firmware version, the option to change the password may be located in different places.
For some router this will be on ADVANCED > Administration > Set Password.
For Nighthawk Pro Gaming routers, select Settings > Administration > Set Password.
Enter current and new password.
Once you’ve located the option to change the password, enter the current and new password in the appropriate fields. Ensure the new password is at least eight characters long and contains a mix of letters, numbers, and special symbols so that it’s difficult to guess for others.
Enable Password Recovery to retrieve your password in the future.
Note: Without this option, if you forget or lose your password, a factory reset and re-setup of the router will be required.
Click the “Apply” or “Save” button.
Click the “Apply” or “Save” button to save the changes.
Logout from the router and reconnect using new password.
Logout from the router settings page and reconnect to the network using the new password.
Keep new password in a safe place.
It is recommended to write down the new password and keep it in a safe place.
By following these steps, you will be able to change the password on your NETGEAR router and increase the security of your home network. It’s always a good practice to change the default password on any device that you are using to connect to the internet in order to keep your personal information and devices safe from potential cyber threats.
How to change the NETGEAR Wi-Fi Extender Password?
Depending on your model and firmware version, there are a few different ways to change the password on your NETGEAR Wi-Fi extender. However, most NETGEAR Wi-Fi extenders can be configured using the web interface, which can be accessed by typing the IP address into the web browser. Here is a general guide on how to change the password on your NETGEAR Wi-Fi extender:
- Connect to your NETGEAR Wi-Fi extender by connecting to the extender’s wireless network or an Ethernet cable from your computer to one of the LAN ports on the extender.
- Open your web browser and type the IP address of your extender into the address bar. The default IP address is usually http://192.168.1.250 or http://mywifiext.net.
- Log in to the extender’s web interface using the default username and password. If you haven’t changed these, the default username is “admin” and the default password is “password”.
- Once logged in, navigate to the “Wireless” or “Security” settings page.
- Look for an option to change the wireless password or passphrase. It could be under the option of ‘Wireless Security’ or ‘WPA-PSK Passphrase’.
- Enter your new password and save the changes. Make sure you remember the new password and use a strong and unique password.
- To ensure the changes have been saved, log out and log back into the extender’s web interface using the new password.
- To ensure that all the connected devices can connect to the Wi-Fi extender with the new password, you will have to reconnect them manually with the new password.
Please note that the steps above may vary depending on your NETGEAR Wi-Fi extender’s model and firmware version. If you have trouble following these steps, you can consult the user manual or visit NETGEAR’s support website for more information.
What to Do if You Can’t Remember Your Password
If you can’t remember your password, don’t worry! There are a few things you can do to recover it.
- First, try resetting your router to its factory default settings. To do this, locate the reset button on your router (usually located on the back or bottom of the device). Press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds. This will restore your router to its default password.
- If that doesn’t work, you can also try contacting your ISP for help. They may be able to provide you with your password or reset it for you.
- Finally, if all else fails, you can always reach out to NETGEAR customer support for assistance.
The Benefits of Changing Your Password Regularly
It’s important to change NETGEAR router password regularly to keep your account secure. Here are some benefits of changing your password regularly:
- It helps prevent someone from guessing your password.
- If someone does guess your password, they won’t be able to use it for long if you change it regularly.
- It’s a good way to practice good security habits.
- Some systems require you to change your password every so often anyway, so you might as well get in the habit of doing it regularly.
Changing the password on your NETGEAR router is a simple and effective way to keep your network secure. By following these easy steps, you can quickly set up a new password for your router and block unwanted connections from accessing it. Not only does this protect your data, but it also helps ensure that only authorized users are able to access the internet through your connection. So what are you waiting for? Start changing NETGEAR router password today!
- How do I retrieve my NETGEAR admin password?
- 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 admin login
- How do I log in to my NETGEAR home router?
- How do I lookup my NETGEAR home serial number?
- NETGEAR Genie Setup | NETGEAR Genie Download
- Netgear Modem Router | Netgear Modem Setup
- NETGEAR WiFi extender setup | NETGEAR WiFi range extender
- NETGEAR Router Login | Routerlogin.net | Routerlogin.com
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
Why should I change the default password on my NETGEAR router and Wi-Fi extender?
Changing the default password is important because it helps to keep your home network secure. The default passwords are easily found online and can be used by hackers to gain access to your network.
How do I know if I am connected to my NETGEAR Wi-Fi extender?
You can check the network name (SSID) of the wireless network you are connected to; it should have the extender’s name in it.
What should I do if I forget the new password for my NETGEAR Wi-Fi extender?
If you forget the new password, you will need to reset the extender to its factory defaults and reconfigure it. To reset the extender, press and hold the reset button for 10 seconds.
Will changing the password on my NETGEAR router and Wi-Fi extender affect my internet connection?
No, changing your router and Wi-Fi extender password will not affect your internet connection. However, you will need to manually connect all your wireless devices to the new network with the new password.
Can I use the same password for my router and Wi-Fi extender?
Yes, you can use the same password for your router and Wi-Fi extender, but it is recommended to use different passwords for added security.
How often should I change my NETGEAR Wi-Fi extender password?
It is recommended to change your password at least every three months or when you suspect your password has been compromised.
Is it necessary to log out and log in to the extender’s web interface after changing the password?
Yes, it is necessary to log out and log in to the extender’s web interface after changing the password to ensure that the changes have been saved and to avoid any future confusion.